Thursday, December 10, 2009

Hogan's FM Waves - December 2009

"A grand adventure is about to begin." ~ Winnie the Pooh
The Next Grand Adventure
I think I will start with punch line first. We are moving to Perth, Australia.

I know it seems sudden but in reality it is not. I have dreamed of being a midwife ever since the birth of Melody 24 years ago. I even apprenticed for a brief period with my good friend and midwife, Mishell Whitacre, not long after she assisted in Alice’s delivery. It was soon apparent that responding to the demanding needs of women in labor and caring for three growing human beings was incompatible. So I let the dream die. Then a few weeks ago, my friend Rachel came for a visit. She staffs the Birth Attendant School in Perth, Australia and was home for Thanksgiving with family. As we talked about her experiences with the school, the dream that I let go of so long ago came back to life. I didn’t say anything to anyone at the time; because I was so afraid it would kill the dream. When I finally told Brian what God was birthing (pun intended) in my heart, he enthusiastically agreed. No surprise there, he is always up for "Grand Adventures". So we are planning to rent out our house (with Molly as live-in manager and roommate) to students, and Peter, Brian and I will go to Perth in July. Brian will be able to continue our Church Planting Coaches ministry from wherever we are in that year and our ministry directors confirmed this adventure with us.

The school is three months of classroom teaching in Perth, followed by nine months hands-on in the Two-Thirds World (formerly known as Third World). At this point we do not know where the outreach will go, but we will keep you posted.

With all our previous "Grand Adventures" the germinating idea has come from Brian, and for the most part I willingly followed. This one is different, this is my crazy idea and Brian is willingly following. It feels good.

We really feel like God is preparing us for ministry in church planting AND village health care in the future. It will be so exciting to add the fruit of my coaching training and midwifery to the package we offer the church planting teams.

Please pray for us as we figure out how to make this happen over the next 6 months. Pray that all the necessary finances come in as well.

If you would like to donate specifically toward the costs of the BAS school and outreach / travel please send your tax-deductible gifts to Los Osos Christian Fellowship; 1335 Seventh St.; Los Osos, CA 93402-1222 [please designate “Hogan – BAS”]
All donors of $25 or more receive an appreciation gift of handmade greeting cards from Louise!
Thank you for your prayers and partnership,
Louise Hogan

1 comment:

April said...

So excited for you all, but selfishly sad that we'll lose you for a year...although you totally deserve this and I'm sure it will be amazing in every way!!